Asia Regional Lead for The Engine Room (REMOTE POSITION)
About The Engine Room
The Engine Room is an international, multi-disciplinary team that is singularly focused on supporting partners to use data and technology to increase their impact. Our work with partners is predominantly in the fields of Transparency and Accountability, Human Rights, and Environmental Justice, though our methods are applicable to all civil society organisations and we work with a broad range of organisations in many other sectors. Our entire team works remotely, the internet is our office.
We are seeking a motivated, curious, and talented person based in Asia who has experience supporting civil society and is passionate about data and technology. This person will join our Catalyst team and lead our direct support work in the region in collaboration with a team coordinator and leads of other regions.
The Asia Regional Lead will work closely with other team members to support our partners in the region, including:
- Providing direct support to partners, including activists and advocates in environmental justice who seek to strategically apply data and technology to advance their work; local organisations working to create more open, just and efficient public contracting systems; and many more.
- Implementing our Matchbox programme in the region: identifying local social change communities, selecting our future Matchbox partners, working with these partners to refine project ideas and translate them into viable project plans, helping them implement their projects and advising them on various aspects of their initiatives, and developing networks with local technologists, designers and data experts.
- Carrying out light touch support, our quick and targeted research and advice to The Engine Room’s Asia-based partners.
- Providing contextual and regional expertise as the organisation grows.
- The regional lead position is full-time (5 days/40 hours per week) and remote.
- The role is compensated competitively, based on experience and location.
- Speaks fluent English and one or more Asian languages
- Flexibility in work hours (to accommodate working with a global team)
- The ideal candidate would be available to start immediately.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Has at least 3 years of experience supporting civil society through activities such as capacity building, advocacy and research.
- Has strong knowledge of and demonstrated experience working in one or more of the following areas: environmental justice, transparency and accountability, human rights.
- Has strong knowledge of or experience working with data and/or technology projects for social change, and a concrete and conceptual understanding of how to use data and technology to develop sound and innovative project plans.
- Is comfortable working with different types of actors in different contexts.
- Has excellent project management skills.
- Has demonstrated experience building strong relationships and communications with partners.
- Is able to effectively work remotely with coworkers and partners across Asia and other continents.
- Has an understanding of how social change organisations work, learn and adapt.
- Can demonstrate facilitation and/or research capabilities.
- Is able to travel in Asia, including Southeast Asia and South Asia.
To apply, please provide an updated CV, a cover letter that outlines why you are excited about this specific role and why you think you would be a great fit.
This is a rolling application process and we will be reviewing submissions as they come in. We highly encourage interested candidates to apply immediately.
We will invite shortlisted candidates to introductory calls and those we select to further advance will have an interview with our People Lead and a member of our team. Applications must be received via the link on this page, applications received via email will not be considered. We look forward to getting your application!